Build Healthy Habits Around Physical Activity
Physical activity is important for overall health and quality of life. Examples of physical activity include walking, jogging, dancing, swimming and gardening.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, active people generally live longer and have a reduced risk of chronic conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity and some cancers.
So, how do you get motivated to build healthy habits around physical activity? First, you need to find a good reason (your why) to build healthy habits around physical activity. Remember that a healthy YOU is the best gift you can give to yourself, your family and your patients!
Here are a few ways to get you started with building those healthy habits:
1. Do what you enjoy. When you enjoy what you’re doing, you’re more likely to be consistent. Also, it may end up being something you look forward to.
2. Start small and only build one habit at a time. Choose an easy activity you can do when your willpower is running close to empty.
3. Get connected: sign up with a personal trainer or health coach, join a walking or running group or establish accountability via social media or online communities such as Reddit or Facebook.
4. Make physical activity a priority: schedule your activity as you would an important appointment and show up!
5. Track your activity and set goals and challenges for yourself by using a pedometer or a mobile application tracker.
I know this journey can appear challenging, but Healthy Nurse Healthy New Jersey believes in you! Good luck—now get started building your healthy habit!
Terri-Ann Kelly, PhD, RN, CPT and the Healthy Nurse Healthy New Jersey Team
P.S. Win a book! Atomic Habits by James Clear can help you learn strategies for building healthy habits. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org describing how you incorporate the information in this message to become a healthier New Jersey nurse. Two healthy New Jersey nurses will win.
P.P.S Every time you write to us at email@example.com telling us about your healthy nurse journey, you will be entered to win a Healthy Nurse Grand Prize. We love to hear from you, so please keep writing to us!