Tips for Smart Women
What Every Women Needs to Know to Keep Their Mind, Body, and Spirit Healthy
Staying healthy is not always easy, especially if you are a busy women caring for others. As nurses we tend to put others before ourselves. Our mind, body and spirt all need to be cared for to stay balanced and healthy. Research has shown that if we balance our minds, body and spirit we can lowers stress, lifts our mood, and promote our health. Here are a few easy tips to stay healthy.
- Breathe deeply- taking deep breaths will keep you alert and relaxed
- Get enough sleep– go to bed in a good mood, since being cranky can lead to a less rejuvenating sleep
- Eat a little chocolate– chocolate stimulates mood-enhancing brain chemicals like serotonin, but remember just a little
- Exercise- working out can ease depression, aim for 30 minutes, 3 times a week
- Get out doors- even 20 minutes a day can brighten your outlook, get a two for one- take a brisk walk outside in the sunshine
- Select good sources of fat- foods like tuna, salmon, flaxseed oil, walnuts and beans can keep your memory sharp and your mood positive
- Keep your diet balanced- eat enough women need at least 1,500 calories to maintain our energy
- Don’t skip breakfast- a morning meal of carbohydrates, proteins and fat has shown to enhance memory
- Stick to one glass of wine at dinner- alcohol can act as a depressant and ultimately lower your mood
- Don’t regret- instead of worrying about things you missed, just do it now
- Record your thoughts- keep a journal it is a great way to work through frustration and sadness and help you figure out your thoughts
- Socialize- research has showed that social support can prevent illness and ease emotional stress
- Take “me” time– don’t over pack your calendar-take one night of week for you, trying something new will help you unwind
- Take time off- a recent study found skipping vacations increases your risk of heart disease
- Laughat least a little- a good laugh can lower stress hormones and boost your immune system
- Love your job- the average American women spends at least a third of their life working. Find your passion for nursing. Enjoy the challenges and fulfilling aspects of being a nurse.
Taking care of others and promoting health is easy for nurses. So follow these easy tips and care for yourself!
“The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge” Bertrand Russell
Laura Mularz, Kate Gillespie, Tracey Jaworski-Lucas and the Healthy Nurses Healthy New Jersey Team