WORK-LIFE BALANCE and AVOIDING BURNOUT
8 Ways to Work-Life Balance
Work life balance is a term to describe the balance an individual needs between time allocated to work and other aspects of life. An inability to achieve balance may lead, in addition to stress, burnout and job dissatisfaction.
BARRIERS TO BALANCING WORK AND LIFE – Some barriers are external and outside of one’s control. These may include everything from inadequate staffing levels to changes in practice expectations. Other stressors are more personal and internal and within one’s control such as personal commitments and family responsibilities.
8 WAYS NURSES CAN ACHIEVE WORK-LIFE BALANCE
- Invest in self-care-adequate rest, proper nutrition and staying active.
- Set priorities – decide what is essential in your life and let go of anything that does not support your goals.
- Ask for help– if you find your responsibilities overwhelming you might need to seek assistance.
- Develop lasting associations at work and home.
- Consider a realistic schedule – what shift best corresponds to your personal life and the number of hours you can handle and when possible request these.
- Learn to say NO – give yourself permission to turn down invitations, commitments or extra shifts.
- Have fun– Do what makes you happy.
- One step at a time – perhaps you think your life is too overwhelming and demanding to put these steps into practice. If so, keep in mind just wishing and hoping things will get better won’t make it happen. So, take one step at a time. Never underestimate the power of small changes. Start by making one small change that takes a few minutes. After the first week, evaluate the results. You may find them good enough to inspire you to make further changes. Finally, don’t go it alone. Look and request help in the areas that are most challenging.
Eleanor Dietrich-Withington, Amita Avadhani and the Healthy Nurse Healthy New Jersey team
Boertje, J., & Ferron, L. (2013). Achieving a Work-Life Balance. American Nurse Today, 8(11), 42-43.
The 10 Tips for Nurses to Maintain Work-Life Balance; Walsh University Online, July 17, 2017 https://online.walsh.edu/news/top-10-tips-nurses-maintain-worklife-balance