Notice of Vacancy for State School Nurse Consultant
The Commissioner of Education invites applications from qualified candidates for the following:
Reference Number: DOE-001-21
Title: State School Nurse Consultant (Tentative Title)
Range/Title Code: TBD
Issue Date: February 1, 2021
Closing Date: February 12, 2021
Core Hours of Operation: 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Location: Trenton, New Jersey
Division: Division of Student Services, Office of Student Support Services
Description: Under the direction of a supervisory official within the Department of Education, Division of Student Services, Office of Student Support Services, performs consultative and liaison tasks related to comprehensive school health services that addresses the health and wellness of all students; designs, produces, and delivers curricula, training, and program improvement related to comprehensive school health services; and monitors, interprets, synthesizes, and disseminates relevant information associated with changes in health and medical care, school nursing practice, legislation, and legal issues that impact schools.
Specific to the position:
- Serve as a liaison and resource expert in school nursing and comprehensive school health services for county, State, and national school health organizations, and policy setting groups
- Provide consultation and technical assistance to support school districts in facilitating parent and community engagement
- Coordinate school health program activities with public health, social services, environmental, and educational agencies as well as other public and private entities
- Monitor, interpret, synthesize, and disseminate relevant information associated with changes in health and medical care, school nursing practice, legislation, and legal issues that impact schools
- Facilitate the development of policies, standards, and guidelines to enhance comprehensive school health services
- Foster and promote professional development for school nurses, which may include planning, coordinating, or providing educational guidance, and networking with universities and other providers of continuing education to meet identified needs
- Promote quality assurance of comprehensive school health services by advocating for the use of evidence-based school nursing practice and participating in the National Association of School Nurses data collection initiatives
- Participate in State-level public interagency partnerships and private partnerships with Statewide stakeholders to foster comprehensive school health services, representing school nurses in multi- disciplinary collaborations
- Initiate, participate in, and utilize research studies related to comprehensive school health services, the health needs of children and youth, school nursing practice, and related issues
- Serve as a liaison regarding school health issues with the Department of Health and the Legislature
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree in Nursing, Public Health, or related field.
Experience: Six (6) years of recent school nursing experience in a school district or other educational institution; demonstrated higher-level leadership experience.
Certification: Current School Nurse Certification issued by the New Jersey Department of Education.
Open to the Following: In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed above.
Authorization to work: selected candidates must be authorized to work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Regulations.
Note: The State of New Jersey does not provide sponsorships for citizenships to the United States.
Forward the required documents electronically to: email@example.com (include the Reference # in the subject line)
Alternate filing: Applicants may also forward a cover letter, resume, and application for employment (including Reference #) to:
New Jersey State Department of Education Reference #: DOE-001-21
PO Box 500
Trenton, NJ 08625-0500
- Cover letter
- Job application found here
The New Jersey State Department of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer, has an Affirmative Action Program, and will not discriminate against any person because of race, creed, religion, color, national origin/nationality, ancestry, age, sex/gender (including pregnancy), marital status/civil union partnership, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic partnership status, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, genetic information, disability, (including perceived disability, physical, mental, and/or intellectual disabilities), or liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States, and is committed to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act.