June is Skin Health Month
Hello Healthy Nurses Healthy Nation Members,
In JUNE, we begin with a new theme for Health Nurse Healthy Nation – Skin Health! We want to give you some tips on maintaining healthy skin!
Don’t have time for intensive skin care? You can still pamper yourself by acing the basics
The sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage your skin in as little as 15 minutes. Follow these recommendations to help protect you and your family.
- Reduce your risk of skin damage and skin cancer by seeking shade
- Use sunscreen or wear protective clothing when you’re outside
- Long-sleeved shirts and long pants and skirts can provide protection
- Clothes made from tightly woven fabric offer the best protection.
- A wet shirt offers much less UV protection than a dry one
- Darker colors may offer more protection than lighter colors
- Some clothing, certified under international standards, has ultraviolet protection factor
- A typical T-shirt has an SPF rating lower than 15. Use other protection, as well.
- Wear a hat with a brim all the way around to shade face, ears, and the back of the neck
- Tightly woven fabric, such as canvas, works best to protect your skin from UV rays.
- Straw hats with holes do let sunlight through
- If you wear a baseball cap, you should also protect your ears and the back of your neck
- Sunglasses protect your eyes from UV rays and reduce the risk of cataracts
- Sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays offer the best protection
- Wrap-around sunglasses work best. They block UV rays from sneaking in from the side.
‘Be good to your skin. You’ll wear it every day for the rest of your life.” – Renée Rouleau.
Mary Ellen Levine, MSN/Ed RN, Jillian Bailey, RN, and the Healthy Nurse Healthy Nation Team!
Mayo Clinic. (2017). Healthy Lifestyle: Adult Health. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/skin-care/art-20048237?pg=1
Salon Skincare. (2015). 10 Inspirational skincare quotes. Retrieved from https://salonskincareblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/10-inspiration-skincare-quotes/