The theme for this month is Happiness!
Happiness is that feeling that comes over you when you know life is good and you can’t help but smile. Happiness is a sense of well-being, joy or contentment.
Happiness is also fleeting so when you are filled with happiness, ENJOY IT!
Many nurses even found bits of happiness during the pandemic with “clap outs,” cheering for their patients as they were being discharged from the hospital after beating COVID-19. During these happy patient discharges, songs were also played throughout hospitals celebrating another win against COVID-19. Some of the songs played were “Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles, the “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten, “Gonna Fly Now” made famous by the movie “Rocky,” “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey and of course “Happy” by Pharrell Williams.
What do you do to find happiness and joy? Like many, I find happiness and joy in my relationships with my family and friends. This pandemic has reminded me, and hopefully you too, about the importance of family and friends in our lives. Talking and laughing with family and friends over Zoom or phone calls helps keep us connected and happy.
Now see how you do on the Happiness Test.
Ten Happiness Tips
- Just SMILE!
- Be mindful and appreciate each moment.
- Practice random acts of kindness.
- Keep a Gratitude Journal.
- Meditate: Try Insight Timer, which is a free app with many guided meditations.
- Be good to your body and get exercise and sleep.
- Take your sunshine vitamin: Vitamin D increases serotonin, the mood neurotransmitter.
- Limit caffeine as it increases your anxiety. Consider substituting your coffee with green tea, which has 1/4 the amount of caffeine found in coffee.
- Write a gratitude letter to someone you never had a chance to thank.
- Listen to your favorite happy songs.
Take time to watch this TED Talk by Shawn Achor.
If you would like to enter to win Shawn Achor’s best-selling book, The Happiness Advantage, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lastly, follow the words of Abe Lincoln: Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.
Cheers and best wishes on your Healthy Nurse journey!
Sue Weaver and the Healthy Nurse Healthy New Jersey team